"Make what you want to make, and make it the way you want to make it." Gwen Marston

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Christmas in July–QAL

66bfc25f-1b73-44f7-9541-b8095aaf6595_zpse1352480[1]

I had big plans for sewing this weekend, and I did work on my challenge quilt.  Hazel and Joanna are hosting the QAL, and Sue issued a challenge for us to work on.  Hazel even baked cookies for us this month!  And oddly enough, the Hallmark channel is running Christmas in July this weekend, so I watched a couple of Christmas movies last night while stitching.

Here is what I worked on for the challenge.

IMG_1289

 

Is this going to be amazing, or what?

I hope to spend more time on it later tonight.

 

I got a late start on Saturday, because DH and I did a little shopping and hit the sidewalk sales in a nearby town.  There may be a new pair of shoes in my closet, and a couple of clearance tops – one for summer and one for winter.

My excuse for today is that we went to the produce stand, which is a few miles out of town, and then stopped for lunch and groceries.  I hate going to the grocery store, what a time waster. 

IMG_1290Fresh produce, however, is another story.  We came home loaded up with several different squashes, corn,  peppers, and tomatoes.IMG_1291We didn’t buy peaches yet, because these were all cling, and I prefer freestone.  We’ll be seeing them soon.

I’m trying a new recipe for Summer Squash Custard for dinner tonight.  I’ll let you know how it turns out. 

As soon as we’re finished with dinner and dishes, I’ll be heading back to the sewing room.  I want to work on my Christmas challenge some more, and I have two swap items to work on.  Did I mention that the shopping yesterday included two fabric stores?  I needed some grass fabric and sky fabric for one of the swaps, and I knew I could find it at one of the stores.  And the other store was just having a big sale.  “Fabric” + “Sale”  How could I not stop. 

When I got home, I had a lovely little package from Simone in Australia!

IMG_1287

 

The flowers are beautiful, and look at that gorgeous card!!

 

 

Off to dinner now, and then more sewing. 

Spread kindness this week……Sunny

15 comments:

  1. You're had a great weekend, Sunny! A fabric sale and a wonderful produce market - fabulous! I grow a couple of different courgette (zucchini) varieties, and ate my first yellow on this very evening.

    Beautiful gift from Simone too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched a Hallmark DVD last night, The Christmas Pageant with Melissa Gilbert. I love sweet stories like that one. I love quilting, but a shopping trip trumps every time. That produce looks beautiful. Enjoy your sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I wish I could shopping with you guys . You always get such great things.. Fresh food and fabric . Couldn't be better.
    Nice flowers from Simone ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that produce looks so good. Hope you got your sewing done. Off to work on hand work now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun weekend! Glad you got some stitching done... that card is beautiful!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like Christmas In July is everywhere!!
    Great job on the SAL sewing, and what lovely goodies from Simone x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your challenge fabrics look wonderful, as does all the fresh fruit and veg.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best part of the season is the fresh produce!
    Have fun with all that is Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I caught a couple of those Christmas movies at my aunt's this weekend, waiting for her to get ready so we could leave. YUCK to seeing snow on tv, lol! Sounds like you had a great weekend. Love your hst's and your flowers from Simone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see what you are producing in the challenge. Those peaches sure do look inviting but I too prefer the freestone peaches but don't think I could pass these up . Lovely flowers from Simone:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. can't wait to see your challenge project.
    I hardly step foot in the grocery store during the summer. Between my garden and going to our farmer's market keeps me free from spending my money in those high priced stores.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want you to know that I actually did work on a Christmas project too, over the week end--a small signature christmas wall hanging from 2009!!
    Hugs, di and miss gracie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did notice that Hallmark had on Christmas movies. I didn't do Christmas sewing - so I skipped the movies. I quit buying fruit at the grocery store, it's picked unripe and never has any flavor. Walmart is adverting that they are selling good fruit with a money back guarantee. It was almost tempting to buy - but I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this time of year when I can get fresh vegetables! I've been working on some Christmas stuff too - a couple of projects for the Ho Ho Ho Blog hop. It's fun to have a couple of gifts done ahead of time. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like this time around of the year when I could possibly get vegetables! I have been previously focusing on a number of Christmas goods way too * a few assignments for that Ho Ho Ho Blog go. It can be enjoyable to experience a couple of presents done ahead of time. :) blessings, marlene runescape gold
    Gold für WOW Kaufen

    ReplyDelete

You comments mean a lot to me. Thanks for stopping by.